With the New Year comes a chance to start fresh and improve upon yourself in every aspect of your life, including your home, routine, and even your health. The new year also gives you the opportunity to set goals and make plans to achieve them; here are some tips from Beyond Expectations on how to clean your home and develop the habit of maintaining cleanliness, as you work to achieve your New Year’s resolutions!
Start with a clean slate
It’s a new year and time for a fresh start. You can’t get started with all the new goals you want to do if your house is still in the mess it was last week. So let’s clean up! Before we get started, take a deep breath and focus on what you’re doing this time around to create habits that will stick with you in the long-term. These are going to be different than what you’ve done before because now it’s all about changing your mindset from one of ‘clean’ being a chore to something that feels good, like taking care of yourself. When you feel refreshed and good about yourself, other things will fall into place much more easily. Focus on mindfulness and energize yourself!
Set your goals
What are your goals for the new year? Maybe you want to learn a new skill, start a new business, or get in shape. Whatever your goals are, it’s important to write them down and log them in a journal. Put sticky notes on your mirror or around your room. These reminders will be great motivation throughout the day! This will help you stay on track and accountable. Plus, telling someone else about your goals will help keep you motivated. Find an accountability partner and work together to motivate each other.
Declutter your home
One way to start the year off right is by decluttering your home and getting organized. This will help you feel more relaxed and in control of your life. Plus, it will be easier to focus on achieve your goals if your environment is clean and orderly. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Start with one section or room at a time. Don’t try to do everything at once or you’ll get overwhelmed.
2. Cleaning does not have to be a daunting task that takes up your whole weekend. Set a timer for 15-20 minutes whenever you get a chance and see how much you can get done in that short amount of time.
3. Some great places to start are the kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, and pantries. Throw out any expired produce and snacks that are no longer edible, to prevent bacteria and mold from growing in these spaces. Similarly, you can dispose of any cosmetics, cleaning products, and so on that may be in your bathroom or storage space.
4. Another place where clutter piles up is desks, shelves, and even the dining tables. Find a new place for your mail and loose leaf papers. Organize any valuables, and so on!
5. Finally, the closet. Donate any clothes that no longer fit you to a local charity organization. You can support orphanages, domestic violence and homeless centers, and so on. Find a cause that resonates with you!
Once you have assessed your space and decluttered, it will be easier to organize and maintain cleanliness!
Create an organizing system
One way to help you achieve your goals is to create an organizing system. This can be as simple as creating a list of things you need to do each day or setting up a specific place for all your important papers.
An organizing system can help you in many ways. It can save you time by helping you find things quickly, it can reduce stress by making it easier for you to stay on top of things, and it can help you be more productive overall.
Here are some tips for creating an organizing system that is personalized and will work for you:
1. Keep it simple. The more complicated your system is, the less likely you are to stick with it.
2. Make it flexible. As your life changes, so should your system.
3. Use something tangible for your system. For example, some people like Google calendars (the app), or a written calendar. Some people like using spreadsheets like Excel and trackers. Others like to keep it old school with a paper to-do list. Nothing beats the satisfaction of crossing off the task when you are done!
Focus on consistency and accountability
One way to help motivate ourselves is by setting smaller goals that lead up to our main goal. This emphasizes consistency and accountability, which are both essential for forming habits until they feel like second nature to us. Start somewhere and take baby steps to get closer and closer to where you want to be. Try not to miss a single day and hold yourself accountable. Self discipline is a key, but you can also find a support group or accountability partner. Confiding in someone and having their support can also go a long way!
Encourage and reward yourself
The New Year is a great time to start fresh and set some new goals. But it can be tough to stay on track. That’s why it’s important to encourage and reward yourself along the way. Set up small goals and small rewards, as well as larger goals and larger rewards. Treating yourself as the months pass and having something to look forward to, like a spa day or buying a new book will allow you to stick to your goals with extra conviction and motivation. Plus, you will be able to reinvest in yourself and your hobbies!
If it is your goal to keep your home clean, let us help you get started!
Beyond Expectations is here for all of your residential and commercial cleaning needs! We provide weekly, biweekly, monthly cleaning, or as needed in Brunswick, Georgia. We also service nearby areas such as Glynn County, Jekyll Island, Sea Island, St. Simons, and more. Call today to schedule cleaning service at (912) 230-4990 or visit our website b-expectations.com to learn more. We will truly go above and beyond your expectations!